Brief history

The original Saint Andrew’s Church building dates c1310 when a large chancel, nave and two-stage tower were erected. A belfry and clerestory windows were added during 15th century. In 1737 Italian craftsmen remodelled the nave in a Venetian style, installing an elegant marble font, singers’ gallery, new seating and a three-decker pulpit. Restoration in 1897 returned windows to their original shape and the gallery, three-decker pulpit and font were removed.

A fourteenth century arch separates chancel and nave, where, prior to Reformation a magnificent rood screen, outside staircase and loft once stood. In many churches local minstrels used the loft for playing during church services.

Some further interesting facts about St Andrew’s Church:

  • The arch was restored to its original condition in 1897.
  • An elegant wrought iron screen was inserted in 1922. Parishioners painted and re-gilded the screen during 2003.
  • In the chancel can be found a fine example of a pre-Raphaelite window.
  • Music is played from a Victorian organ built in 1895.
  • The ring of bells was augmented to six for the millennium. The original tenor, recast in 1860 may date back to c1330.

(contributed by Anthea Robinson)